How to make BBQ Christmas turkey
This year you can prepare the traditional turkey with a smoky barbecue flavor.
With the leftovers you can on Boxing Day, incidentally make delicious sandwiches.
Ingredients (for eight people)
- 500g butter, softened
- bunch fresh thyme, rosemary, sage and parsley, finely chopped
- 250 g bacon, chopped
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 turkey of ± 2.5 kg
- Three whole lemons, halved
- 6 red onions, quartered
- 4 bulbs garlic, halved horizontally
- 500ml chicken stock
How to Prepare BBQ Christmas turkey
- Put the butter, spices, garlic, bacon, juice and zest of the lemon in a food processor. Blend until coarse mixture is obtained.
- Work the skin of the breast of the turkey loosely with the tips of your fingers. Stop half of the butter mixture under the skin and spread evenly. Place the lemon
halves inside the carcass of the turkey and tie the legs together with string.
- Place the turkey in a roasting pan that fits on the barbecue (one with a lid) and divide the rest of the butter mixture over the turkey. Put the red onion and halved garlic bulbs in the roasting pan.
- Put the turkey on the grill, close the lid and slowly 3 hours roasting.
- Every hour just open the lid and spoon the sauce over the turkey. Make some extra charcoal ready on a separate barbecue, so every hour you can add hot charcoal.
- To see if your turkey is cooked, insert a knife into the thickest part around the thighs. Let it sit for 15 seconds knife in the turkey. If the blade is very hot and the
juice runs out of the meat, the turkey is done.
- Remove the turkey from the roasting pan and place on a serving dish. Spoon the vegetables and gravy with it.